To read my blog in a READER use: http://feeds.feedburner.com/theredheadriter

For The Love Of Fred



Some experiences stick in the mind and are never far away from immediate recall. However, other memories disappear in the recesses of the brain, never to surface again after the experience is over. A couple days ago, I wrote about a memory that has stuck in my mind, shaped and molded my personality, but is not a happy thing to remember. It was traumatic and is as vivid a memory today as it was forty years ago.

There is another memory, a pleasant one, that is equally as clear as yesterday. On television, I used to watch NBC Children's Theatre and one particular Saturday there was a special called "For The Love Of Fred" with puppets by Paul and Mary Ritts. The story centered around a caterpillar that wanted to become a butterfly, but he did not know how to weave the cocoon. In the course of the show, Fred went to the doctor for help and was told he needed love. With the help of his friends (one looked like a pre-Big Bird), Fred searched for love.

For The Love Of Fred


One of the songs in the show was "What The World Needs Now Is Love" made popular by Jackie DeShannon.



What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love, sweet love,
No not just for some but for everyone.


I was completely consumed by the story. The caterpillar was mesmerizing and had become real in my imagination. At the end, Fred actually turned into a beautiful butterfly.

I cried.

I had never, up to that point, been so caught up in a story or felt overwhelming emotions for an imaginary television character. I lived the story with Fred the caterpillar. He had become real -- more real than my paper dolls, Barbie, my Tippy-Toe doll or the tiny, plastic cowboy and Indian figures.


The moral and the caterpillar in "For The Love Of Fred" left an indelible mark on my life in many ways. I always remember the importance and value of being loved and sharing friendship. Neither are frivolous or should be taken for granted. The show taught me that true friends love, support and help whenever needed. I also learned that love, real love, is absolutely beautiful and can work miracles.

For The Love Of Fred


No matter where or when I hear the first notes by the baritone in the song, "What The World Needs Now Is Love", I immediately think of Fred the caterpillar. I also see the entire moment as if I was hovering above the room of my childhood home -- the first color television my parents owned, Dad's gold chair, the blue couch and Mom doing chores behind me as I sat crossed legged on the floor.

The final moments when Fred breaks out of his cocoon and is a beautiful butterfly has been so etched in my mind that I can distinctly remember the veins in the leaves on the trees where he stretched out his new butterfly wings. Even more than that, I can feel the surge of emotion as I realized that love had helped him become a butterfly.

Fred the caterpillar was determined to fulfill his dream of becoming a butterfly. No obstacle stopped him. Fred remained steadfast in his quest because he knew that his dream was possible as long as he did not give up.

Our lives today are the same as a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. The dream can only become reality if we persevere. We must get up each time we fall because to remain face down in the dirt ensures utter failure. It is easy to remain in the dirt and give up. Having or keeping a positive outlook may feel virtually impossible, but love, friends and doctors can keep us going on the right path toward our dreams.

It's funny how one moment in our history can change everything. The moments when every sense is heightened, time stands still and then etches it in our memories like a diamond scratching a window pane. Until that moment, life was one way and then after the moment, it is all new -- sometimes better and sometimes worse. How we handle the change defines us, so for the love of Fred, do not stop dreaming and believing while on the journey.


I must be willing to give up
what I am
in order to become
what I will be.
Albert Einstein






The Redhead Riter





Share



8 people "rote" comments:

Stéfan Lévesque said...

What a wonderful memory. It is so true how moments, be they negative or positive, can be powerful catalysts in our lives. It is up to us to make sure we are propelled in the right direction. Thank you for sharing this story.

Daria @ Mom in Management said...

So, I guess you weren't naming your chin whisker Fred like I did... :)

TJ said...

As I read this post, I was taken back into your world. I well remember that day. I remember how you cried. Did you for get when he became a butter fly he forgot whose his friends were and that you were so sad because as he flew off all his friends were yelling at him, and he paid no attention to them? Unlike Fred we should never forget our friends even when they do not agree with us. I love you Sherry.

mom

The Redhead Riter said...

TJ,
I remembered that part, but it was not "happy" so I didn't include it in the post LOL

TJ said...

I posted your blog on my face book, my cousins read it and thinks it is fabulous

mom

Joan said...

Redhead Riter, this is such a moving story that I, too, posted your blog on my Facebook page and tweeted it.

You are a writer (even if you spell it Riter) -- and in your writing you share some of your memories with us, making them each brilliant vignettes that make us think and touch our heart!

Brunetteblogger said...

Hi - thanks for writing about For The Love of Fred .... I was on here googling - trying to find a copy of it to purchase when I came across your blog on it. I had SAME reaction and same memory - I remember seeing it a few times as a kid and sobbing when Fred flew off as a butterfly. I would love to buy a copy of this. I just went to NBC.com and to the contact link under Vintage movies and chose "other" from the drop down and requested information on how to get a hold of this movie. I am writing you to see if you will do the same. If they get lots of requests maybe they will go into archives and make some up. Who knows until we try? Maybe you can put a blog request for people to do this? Thanks .....

ecce homo said...

Brunetteblogger and redhead riter

My name is Philippe Bloch, I am 49 years old and live in Brookline, Massachusetts. I was the narrator of said film at the tender age of 7. As of today, I have DVD's available of the show. I had them transferred from a dub of the master VHS I obtained from Mary Ritts, producer, many years ago before she passed from this world.

I am flattered people still remember this show and I would be willing to share.


Best, Philippe contact me at bloch@bu.edu if you care to. I however am not sure about copyright infringement from NBC.